CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

"One More River to Cross" Recognizing the Real Inury in Brown: A Prerequisite to Shaping New Remedies by Charles Lawrence

Premise:

  • segregation
  • separation
  • Brown vs. Board
  • inferior

Author's Argument:

Lawrence argues that the decision that Brown made was suppose to be a successful one but it did not solve all the segregation issues. It also made blacks feel unequal to everyone else. The decision also effected the way that the people thought of segregation.

Evidence:

  1. "The first is that segregation's only purpose is to label or define blacks as inferior and thus exclude them from full and equal participation in society."
  2. "social scientist indicating that the effect if school segregation on black children was to generate a feeling of inferiority."
  3. "Segregation has only one purpose to create and maintain a perminate lower class or sub caste defined as race.

Comments:

  1. I did not like this article because I felt that there was no solution to the problem. I felt it just left me hanging there. I also had a hard time understanding the article, Lawrence was just venting out he was not telling us a solution to the problem that was faced. I wished he would have given us a solution. He also repeated thing over and over, I thought it could have been shorter.

0 comments: